May 31st - Halifax - query answered!!

I said I had finished posting, but having received an e-mail from our friends Derek and Francoise, who we called on when we were near Ottawa, telling us the strange mast I had called an 'eoline', is in fact a Darrieus wind turbine. It is named after its French inventor, Georges Darrieus, who patented his invention in 1931.

I Googled it and discovered that the one we saw is the largest in the world at 100 metres in height and 60 metres in width! It is called Eole after the Greco-Roman wind god Aeolos.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on completing another great adventure drive. You have to do Australia now to complete the set of continents surely!
    Really enjoyed the blog and the pictures.
    I am back from Malawi now for 2 weeks before another brief Australia trip - any recce work you want me to do?

    ReplyDelete

Our ninth adventure drive, this time from Salt Spring Island, Vancouver Island in the west of Canada, to Halifax, Nova Scotia, in the east, with an approximate distance of 5,000 miles.